JRI Vision, Mission, Objectives & Values
The John Ray Initiative (JRI) is an educational charity, based in the UK. It was formed in 1997 in recognition of the urgent need to respond to the global environmental crisis and the challenges of sustainable development and environmental stewardship.
“To bring together scientific, technological and Christian understanding of the environment in a way that can be widely communicated and lead to effective action.”
“To promote responsible environmental stewardship in accordance with Christian principles through Education, Research and Advocacy.”
• To influence and support Christians, scientists, engineers and policy-makers in working toward a more sustainable relationship between humankind and the environment.
• To think globally and promote a positive interaction between development and environmental issues.
• To give priority to biblically-based environmental education, especially among Christian believers.
• To encourage serious research initiatives aimed at establishing a biblical theology that provides a strong foundation for Christian involvement in caring for God’s creation.
• To continue to build a learning community of Christians with relevant expertise in science, technology, environment and theology.
JRI is committed to:
• A firm biblical foundation
• Academic excellence
• The highest ethical standards
• Active engagement with a wide range of Christian thinking
• Interaction with a variety of organisations and individuals
• High level advocacy
• An international outlook
• Sharing as a global community
• The wise use of science and technology
Key Success Factors
• A clear and well defined ‘JRI message’
• High name recognition
• Effective on-going engagement with:
• church members, students and young people
• church leaders and theologians
• ministry training programmes
• high-level leaders beyond the church
• A strong network of Christians throughout the UK
• A wider recognition of the connection between environmental degradation and third world poverty